Original bird feeders - beautiful and practical
If you like helping birds in the winter, try making your own original bird feeders: in addition to the fact that these products are very practical, they can be a great decoration for your garden, balcony or window sill.
Plastic and glass containers can be found in every home, and even a child can work with them easily: you can make vases, coasters, toys and figurines from bottles. Among the popular crafts is the original bird feeder with your own hands.
The usual plastic trough model is based on only three actions: you need to cut large windows on one and the other side of the bottle, and then just hang it on a tree.
The design of the next trough is somewhat different, significantly increasing the practicality of the product. You will need a large plastic bottle, 2 wooden spoons (if you do not have these, replace them with plastic), scissors and a string.
- At a height of 3-5 centimeters from the base of the bottle, make 2 holes with a diameter of 1.5-2 centimeters in the walls opposite each other with scissors. Repeat the same action, retreating a similar distance from the neck - the upper holes should be on a line perpendicular to the bottom.
- Slide the spoon through the bottom pair of holes so that on one side there protrudes its narrow handle - it will be a perch and on the other side a ladle. The second spoon will take place in the upper holes.
- With an awl heated with the help of a gas burner, melt a small hole in the bottle cap and pass through it the 2 tips of the lace so that the loop sticks out. Tie the ends with a thick knot that can hold them inside the cap.
If you are making original bird feeders with a child, replace the work with a sharp awl in this way: just wind the neck of the bottle with a cord and tie a tight knot in it. Tie the laces together to make a loop.
Fill the bowl with grains and hang them up. Birds will definitely like a lot of poles and seats! In addition, due to the originality of the spoons, the product will spin like a carousel under the action of the wind.
We can say that this manger is winter because the food will not get wet and will not scatter from the reservoir under the action of the wind.
You will need a glass bottle and two plates, one of which should be longer and wider than the container, and the other equal to it in width, but 4 times shorter.
- Using nails or screws, connect the planks to each other at a right angle - the long one should be vertical and the short one should be horizontal.
- Measure the diameter of the bottle and neck. Make rings of wire, equal to your measurements, and fasten on a long plank at the desired height so that the bottle can be hung upside down. You can also make a wooden block holding structure, as in the image, if you have the skills to cut holes in wood.
- Glue the bowl or saucer with “Moment” glue to the bottom of the feeder so that the bottleneck drops slightly below its edges.
Fill the bottle with food and fasten it in the loops - it can be nailed to a tree or a wall of a house, put on an open balcony or a wide window sill. You got a semi-automatic product - the grains will gradually pour out of the container, filling the saucer.
Bird feeder made of wood with their own hands is not as easy as plastic and glass. However, if you have certain skills to work with this material, you will have a wonderful bird's dining room, which can be used for more than one season.
- Take a close look at the drawing of the bird feeder with your hands on the image. You will need one rectangular part-bottom, 4 low side encircling it, 2 pentagonal walls and 2 rectangles for the roof.
- You can make a house of any size. If you do not yet have certain skills for calculating the parameters, use the approximate values for the pentagon in the photo - according to them it is easy to calculate the size of other parts.
- Details fasten among themselves by small nails.
- One of the parts of the roof is also nailed to the main structure, while the second must be attached to it using furniture hinges - a hinged lid simplifies the process of filling the tray with food.
The feeder is universal - if desired, it is easy to fix in any suitable place. If you are also thinking about how to decorate an original work, pay attention to wood burning.
Original feeders: simple ideas
From the following workshops you will learn how to make a bird feeder with your own hands in just an hour! In addition, you can connect to the work of children - they will probably be interested in making original houses for bird food.
Cardboard boxes and boxes, tetrapacks from juices, milk, and other products are perfect as a basis for your own original bird feeders: you can see examples of this in the photo.
It is enough to cut two wide windows in the opposite walls of the box, and paste the base itself with colored paper to your taste, turning it into a house or an animal.
Perhaps the most unusual, but very simple idea of creating a trough is to use the old tea set. For example, you can take the remaining cups and saucers from the once large solid sets.
Just glue together the details: a cup, a spoon and a saucer. Fill a mug or plate with food.
Glue the Moment with a thick ring to the base of the feeder if you want to fasten it on a vertical pin in the garden, or fasten several chains at the base for which the product can be hung in any convenient place.
It will be interesting to look at such an option for a private house or summer house: put a small table under the tree, on which place 3 such feeders - a bird feast in this place will be provided!
Making another original bird feeder with your own hands is described in detail in the video lesson - it can be done in just half an hour!