Lupus erythematosus. Symptoms of the disease
Among the variety of autoimmune diseaseslupus erythematosus is prominent. Symptoms can not be confused with other ailments. This chronic disease affects several human organs simultaneously - the skin, the brain, the liver, joints, etc. The cause of the autoimmune disorder is not yet specified, but the fact that lupus erythematosus, whose symptoms will be described later, is ten times more common among women, than among men - a long-proven fact. Basically, the disease makes itself felt in the age interval between 20 and 40 years. By inheritance, it is transmitted, but very rarely (three children fall sick from hundreds of those who have parents who are sick).
Lupus erythematosus is an autoimmunedisease, and this means that human immunity attacks its own organism. Diabetes, for example, thyroid disease and rheumatoid arthritis - are also autoimmune diseases. Sunlight, various infections that weaken the body, hormonal changes or some medications - all this can trigger a disease called systemic lupus erythematosus.
Symptoms of the disease:
- Pain and stiffness in the joints, especially in the morning, muscle pain.
- Rash, red spots on face and body.
- Hypersensitivity of the skin to sunlight.
- Reinforced hair loss.
- The appearance of sores on the mucous membranes.
- Blueing or whitening of limbs when exposed to cold or stress.
- Enlargement of lymph nodes.
- Swelling of the foot or skin around the eyes.
Manifestation of symptoms individually - in somepeople can get joints and cold or limp limbs, others have red spots on their bodies and hair begins to fall out. Also, red lupus can "give" a syndrome of chronic fatigue. Symptoms may change with time after diagnosis.
The disease gives complications to various organs and tissues of a person:
- Blood - there is a slight degree of anemia or leukopenia. Thrombocytopenia, which increases the risk of bleeding, may also be a consequence of lupus erythematosus.
- Heart - carditis, characterized by pain in the heart, or damage to the arteries, through which blood flows to the heart.
- Kidneys - the appearance of swelling, indicating the violation of the work of this important body. Often with red lupus, jade is additionally diagnosed.
- The central nervous system is brain damage characterized by headaches, dizziness, bouts of hysterics, fatigue, impaired vision, convulsions or even paralysis.
- Lungs - there is shortness of breath, pain in the sternum and cough.
How does the development of lupus erythematosus, the symptoms of which can not be confused with something else?
Mild form of the disease - there is pain in the joints, muscles, red spots on the skin and rash, fatigue.
Moderate form - other than the skin and joints, inflammation occurs in other parts of the body and organs - carditis, inflammation of the kidneys and pleurisy - new diagnoses of this stage of the disease.
The severe form of lupus erythematosus is at this stagethere is a strong inflammation that damages many internal organs - the lungs, the heart, the brain and the kidneys. This stage of lupus is life threatening and requires immediate hospitalization.
The diagnosis is based on a detailed surveypatient, anamnesis and laboratory tests of blood for specific antibodies. Sometimes it takes some time and supervision of a specialist to make a diagnosis.
Usually in patients who have symptoms of redlupus, there is an exacerbation of the disease, which lasts several weeks, followed by a long remission. Why exacerbations and remissions occur with lupus, scientists have not yet been able to establish.