How to eat walnuts really? Harm and Benefit
Many people cherish the love of walnuts since childhood, when they tear green “balls” from the trees and extract young, milky-sweet fruits from them. And the best part is that they are not only very tasty and nutritious, but also very healthy. However, there are certain rules for their selection, storage and use, so that the benefits of walnuts do not become harmful - and now we will share with you all the nuances.
The benefits of nuts
It is known that in most products a complete set of vitamins and minerals cannot be contained - that is why all nutritionists advocate a varied diet, with the use of various vegetables, fruits, cereals, etc. However, walnuts in different quantities contain the widest range of various trace elements, with the exception of a few, which makes it one of the most useful products that can only be on our table.You can see the composition of walnuts and its nutritional value in the following picture:
See how nuts are rich in nutrients! And what exactly is the use of walnuts - let's consider in order:
- First of all, walnuts increase and strengthen the human immunity, giving the body a diverse set of useful substances. For this reason, it is especially good to eat in the fall and spring, that is, in those periods that are most often accompanied by hypovitaminosis.
- If you have cardiovascular diseases, keep in mind that regular consumption of walnuts helps cleanse the blood and resorb plaques, both cholesterol and sclerotic. Also, walnut strengthens the walls of blood vessels.
- Also, walnuts restore male potency due to the content of zinc, calcium and magnesium, which enhance the production of male androgens.
- The high content of iron, zinc and cobalt in walnuts raises the level of hemoglobin in the blood, which is very useful for patients with anemia.
- Nuts are an excellent source of dietary fiber, which allows us to feel full for a long time and regulates the digestive system.
- The content of potassium, calcium and phosphorus in walnuts helps to strengthen bone tissue, increase strength.
- The benefits of walnuts are also evident in the treatment and prevention of diseases of the thyroid gland, due to the iodine content.
- It is not in vain that a walnut resembles the hemispheres of the human brain: it contains omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which help improve brain function and strengthen memory.
And these are not all examples of how the benefits of walnuts are manifested. But, unfortunately, there are conditions under which there will be more harm from these nuts than good.
First of all, it should be understood that all walnuts, like all products, are good in moderation. According to experts, to get the necessary daily dose of vitamins and trace elements from walnuts, you need to eat them in the amount of 30 g per day - of course, refers to the peeled fruit, which is about 5 nuts of medium size.
- In any case, if more than 100 grams of nuts a day does not cost anyone.Nuts - a very fatty product, so it is very long and hard digested by the human body. And this means not only problems with digestion, but also a waste of the product, since in this case the useful substances contained in the nuts will not be absorbed.
In addition, walnuts are very high-calorie: as indicated in the table above, 100 g of nuts contain as many as 656 calories. If we consider that for normal maintenance of life, men need 1 kcal per 1 kg of body weight at 1 hour, and women - 0.9 kcal, even 100 grams of walnuts can make up a considerable part of the total calories per day. Exceeding this rate will lead to weight gain, so if you do not want to get fat, then 5 nuts per day is your limit.
- Also, walnut is contraindicated not only to those people who are allergic to nuts, but also to those who are allergic to protein. For the same reason, they are not recommended for pregnant and lactating mothers, so as not to provoke the occurrence of allergies in the baby. Also, you can not eat walnuts for people with enterocolitis, stomach ulcers and other diseases of a similar nature.
Also do not forgetthat spoiled, rotten and old nuts carry no benefit, moreover - they become toxic, and in large quantities can cause both gastrointestinal upset and severe poisoning.
How to choose and store walnuts
So that walnuts have only good and no harm, it should not only be used carefully and in moderate quantities, but also be properly bought and stored.
It is better to buy nuts in the shell, and not peeled. In the cleaned video, the nuts are stored worse, deteriorate faster, and check it through plastic packaging is very difficult. Unfortunately, most of the peeled walnuts that you see on the shelves are old and rancid, not usable.
Shelled walnuts can also get old, but it is easier to determine if you weigh the nut in your hand and shake it. The young nut will be harder, and the old one will be lighter, and inside it will slightly “hang out”, rumble, since it has already dried up and decreased in size.
- Store unpeeled nuts at home in a dark, dry and cool place, if necessary - in the refrigerator, and then they will be able to preserve their health properties and taste, without becoming rancid, for a year.
- Peeled nuts are not stored for a long time.It is better not to clean them for the future, but to clean only the right amount before use. If you did not manage to eat some of the nuts, they should be put in an airtight container or a vacuum bag and placed in a refrigerator - then they will not spoil.
But not only the walnut itself can benefit our body, but also its partitions, they are also membranes that are inside the shell. How to make them healing infusion, which helps to cope with a variety of diseases - learn from the following video:Read on: Spice Guide: How Good Are Different Spices