How to cure a cold in a child - each case is treated differently
A runny nose can cause a lot of inconvenience to both adults and children. When the nose is stuffed up, mucus is secreted from it, breathing becomes difficult, and well-being deteriorates. If the baby has become snotty, it is important to know how to cure the cold of the child.
What is a runny nose and where does it come from
The scientific name of rhinitis is rhinitis. The nasal mucosa is inflamed for various reasons. Among them are: an infection, allergies, getting into the nose of foreign objects. Each of them requires its own, special treatment method.
A runny nose in a child can be a separate disease as well as accompany another disease. Often with it the body temperature rises to 37.2-37.5 degrees.
According to statistics, the most common cause of rhinitis in children is infection. Viruses fall on the nasal mucosa along with air. There they develop in superficial cells that have cilia.Typically, these cilia hesitate, naturally removing foreign objects. Because of the viruses, the integrity of the mucous is broken. Because of this, a bacterial infection may be added.
Most often, a runny nose in a child occurs when changing weather conditions and fluctuations in air temperature. At this time, the activity of microbes increases, and it is easier for the child to get hypothermia.
Also, a runny nose in children appears due to irritation with foreign bodies, for example, a bead in the nose. Then the body begins to produce mucus to push it out. In addition, rhinitis can be caused by irritating odors and allergens. All of these factors lead to inflammation of the nasal mucosa.
Features of rhinitis in children
A runny nose in a child is harmless only at first glance. The nose allows the body to supply the necessary oxygen for its functioning. It also has many nerve endings that are associated with different systems and organs. Because of this, the children's body reacts very strongly to the deterioration of the throughput of the nose.
In infants and newborns, runny nose with features. In babies, even a small swelling of the mucous membranes leads to a deterioration in nasal breathing, because these children have very narrow nasal passages.Due to the fact that the nose is stuffed up, the process of breastfeeding is also disturbed.
The baby during the meal must be interrupted in order to breathe in the air. This leads to malnutrition, indigestion, sleep disturbance and anxiety. Children during sleep may have shortness of breath and suffocation. In addition, while breathing through the mouth, the infection spreads further down the airways.
How to quickly cure a cold
If the baby is ill with acute rhinitis, which proceeds normally, then intensive treatment is not necessary. Doctors advise more often to do wet cleaning and airing of the room, use humidifiers.
- If the crumbs have a high body temperature, they should be given more to drink. Best of all - boiled lukewarm water.
- Force-feeding a baby is contraindicated. Appetite disappears during illness, and this is natural. If the baby refuses to take the breast, try giving him expressed milk in a bottle or feed him with a spoon.
- From the nose, you must regularly remove the mucus that has accumulated there.
- Often take the child in your arms, say good words to him, do not scold him. When he is calm, recovery will come faster.
Medications for the treatment of rhinitis
To facilitate nasal breathing, you can use vasoconstrictor drugs: vibrocil, nazivin, brizolin.It is best to use drops, not spray. The necessary tool will pick up a pediatrician or ENT. Remember: it is impossible to drip these drugs for longer than a week.
If there is also bacterial inflammation, the use of antibacterial agents will be required: bioparox, isofra, baktroban. They must appoint a doctor. You may also need to use an immunomodulator, for example, Derinat.
Among the means of how quickly a runny nose will cure can be called homeopathic ones: euphorbium compositum, okarizalia and others.
Treatment of a cold in a child may also include a massage of bioactive points. Massaging several times a day you need points that are in the grooves on the wings of the nose, the tip of the nose, the points near the inner corners of the eyes, the palm near the index fingers.
How to cure a cold at home
Some parents prefer the use of folk remedies for the treatment of rhinitis. They accumulated a lot in the treasury of national experience.
- Carrot or beet juice Dilute with water 1: 1 and add 2 drops to the child’s nose. Reception is suitable for very young children.
- Garlic. Squeeze it through the crushcover with vegetable oil and let it brew for 12 hours. This oil should be instilled into the nose of the baby. Can be used from the age of five.
- Kalanchoe. A good remedy for the common cold. Bury a few drops of fresh plant juice in your nose, or lubricate the baby's nose from the inside. Effective in early stages of the disease.
- Inhalation. Pour boiling water into the teapot, add 4 spoons of soda to the water. Let the child breathe hot steam. At the same time carefully watch that he is not scalded. Also, instead of soda, a decoction of medicinal herbs - chamomile, sage, mint, bay leaf. If possible, buy an inhaler at the pharmacy - it is safer to perform the procedure.
Runny nose itself is not particularly dangerous. Complications are another matter. When a baby is sick, it is necessary to constantly monitor its condition: what kind of discharge, what sensations, and if there are any pains. Worry is, if the selection of green or yellow, if your forehead hurts. At the slightest reason for concern, do not hesitate to show the child to the pediatrician.