Determine the fastest queue
Those who are enraged by queues and who want to quickly jump out of Auchan is a free translation of an article in the NYT, with quite a serious description of a number of techniques that allow you to determine which cash register to choose in order to complete your shopping trip faster. So.
• Get up after one customer with a full cart, not several with baskets. A person spends an average of 41 seconds to say hello, put the goods in the bag and pay.
• Go left. Yes, yes, it works in the supermarket. Most people are right-handed and automatically head to the cash registers at the right of them.
• Choose a queue that leads to several cash registers at once. Usually, people unconsciously avoid the need to make extra choices, preferring the format of “one queue - one cash desk”.
• Beware of standing in a queue, the end of which is not visible to the cashier.
• People are usually concerned about the length of the queue, not the speed of its movement. Be counterintuitive. Choose quick queues - with a cashier-woman, without seniors, with buyers purchasing the same type of goods.
In general, everything is in the head. On average, people exaggerate their time in line by 36%.