Choosing a plaster plaster
The start of any repair work always starts with the preparation of surfaces. This requires high-quality gypsum plaster or its cement-sand taxes. These are the specific construction solutions hardening after drawing on the processed surfaces.
They are sold in specialized stores and, if properly prepared solution, quite simple to use. However, different types of such mixtures are useful for different surfaces. Therefore, each type of plaster should be studied in more detail.
Which mixture to choose: cement, lime or plaster
Having come to the store, many are lost in the abundance of brands and manufacturers. However, you should not take the first packaging of the goods from the counter, or rely only on the price. The first thing to consider is the composition of the mixture: cement-sand, lime or gypsum plaster. The latter is the most popular, as it is easy to prepare and apply.
To understand how justified the choice of the majority, it is worthwhile to compare all types of plaster in terms of the most significant parameters:
Regarding this criterion in all types of ready-made solutions, the indicators are approximately the same. However, the cement-sand mixture is slightly lower, and gypsum plaster shows the highest result.
The required amount of the mixture per 1 m2.
The most economical is the consumption of gypsum plaster. Consumption may vary depending on the manufacturer. But the average per 1 m2 (1 cm thick layer) varies from 8 to 10 kg. By the way, the cement-sand counterparts consumption under similar conditions up to 20 kg.
If you have gypsum plaster, you will save 30 minutes of time, as it hardens for only 1.5 hours. The cement-sand mixture speed is not much less, full solidification occurs in 2 hours. However, this also suggests that the gypsum mortar should be kneaded in small portions, which is more laborious.
Environmental requirements during surface treatment.
It benefits cement-sand mixture, which can be used both in high humidity and in the open air. In turn, the application of gypsum plaster and its lime analogue requires that the air is dry and there are no drafts.
Cement-sand mixture is more suitable for processing the facades of buildings, as it retains heat better, making the building energy efficient. Lime and plaster mixes are more suitable for interior work.
If you want to save your strength, gypsum plaster is more suitable for you, since after its application further processing of the walls (putting putty) is not necessary, which cannot be said about cement and lime analogs.
From this parameter depends on the tendency of the finished mixture to cracking. Therefore, if you produce interior or exterior walls and want to avoid late defects on the floor, you should choose a plaster plaster, as the cement-sand mixture can crack.
Cement-sand mixtures have a shade of gray, while gypsum products are white after drying. This eliminates the finishing surface treatment.
Calculate the amount of the required mixture, based on the manufacturer’s consumption in kg per m2. There are different packaging plaster: both 10 and 30 kg.
The value of the product also matters.So, gypsum plaster is a bit more expensive than its counterparts, but its consumption is several kilograms less than that of cement-sand and lime mixtures. Accordingly, the price - the last criterion on which to focus.
Popular gypsum plaster manufacturers: advantages and disadvantages
An important criterion in the selection of the mixture is the brand. It is better to purchase products from proven manufacturers, as it has already been tested by professionals and managed to establish itself from the best side.
Among the popular brands are the following names:
- Rotband Knauf;
Each brand has its own advantages and disadvantages, as well as different packaging of goods (5, 10, 30 kg, etc.)
The trademark RotbandKnauf.This is the most popular brand, featuring a fairly high cost and minimal expense. Knauf has been produced in Germany for over 50 years.
There are several colors of this plaster:
Also different is packing. The largest volume - 30 kg in the bag, and the smallest - 5 kg. Today, Rotband Knauf gypsum plaster is used everywhere to level walls and other surfaces. In this case, the minimum layer of its application is only 5 mm.
Among the advantages of the brand is to highlight the following facts:
- smooth coating, after which additional treatment of walls with a putty is not required;
- economical consumption - 8.5 kg / m2, provided that the coating layer is 1 cm;
- wide range: various shades and packaging (up to 30 kg);
- high-quality coating without cracks, even if the Knauf layer of plaster is 5 cm;
- the presence of polymers that provide better adhesion to the surface of walls and ceiling;
- no harmful fragrances;
- the presence of retarders in the composition, which allows for work at a quiet pace and more thoroughly apply a coating layer.
As you can see, the advantages of this manufacturer are obvious. Therefore, if you want to get a quality layer of plaster and reliable coating of walls and ceiling, it is worth choosing Rotband.To save on the price, it is better to choose bags of 30 kg. If you need to process a small surface, immediately consider the thickness of the proposed layer and its size, so you just do not buy too much.
Trademark Volma.This is a fairly popular product. The mixture is packaged in bags of 30 kg or less. Unlike Knauf, Volma has a wider color palette:
- dark and light gray;
- dark and light yellow;
However, the last three shades of the Volma brand are extremely rare, they are usually delivered under the order.
Among the advantages of this brand are the following qualities:
- resistance to frost - Volma-layer plaster can be used in unheated premises or on the street;
- high adhesion to the surface of walls and ceilings;
- safety and ecological purity of the coating with Volma plaster;
- obtaining a smooth and smooth surface that does not require additional treatment of the walls;
- resistance to high humidity - Volma can be used in basements and bathrooms;
- economical consumption, amounting to 8 - 9 kg per 1 m2, respectively, the packing of Volm in 30 kg is enough for 3.5 - 3.7 m2;
- the possibility of applying layers from 5 mm to 6 cm;
- the possibility of applying a mixture of Volma at a temperature of 5 - 30 degrees above zero;
- affordable pricing policy.
Trademark Teplon.This is one of the budget producers, captivating affordable pricing policy. However, Teplon has a limited number of color variations, represented by two shades of the mixture: white and gray. Packing Teplon also very diverse. In addition to the standard 5 - 30 kg, there are intermediate values, non-multiple 5 - 28 kg.
Among the advantages of the products of the brand Teplon are the following factors:
- affordable pricing policy;
- economical consumption Teplon also reduces financial costs;
- plasticity and relative lightness, which reduces the risk of defects;
- ease of applying the finished solution from Teplon is also important;
- the dried wall covering is quite smooth and does not require subsequent putty.
However, the plaster TM "Teplon" has some disadvantages:
- labor intensity- the mixture should be kneaded in small portions, as the plaster Teplon sets in 50 minutes;
- moisture sensitivity- it cannot be used in basements, damp rooms and bathrooms.
Teplon plaster is inexpensive and of high quality, but it has some limitations on use. Therefore, if you need treatment of the walls in the bathroom, it is better to consider other options.
Trademark miners. This is quite a popular product among those who plan a large amount of work. This is due to the fact that the plaster miners have only packing in bags of 30 kg. The manufacturer also limited the abundance of colors, leaving only white and gray mixtures on sale.
Among the advantages of this brand is to highlight the following factors:
- high ductility, which makes coating easy;
- the ability to apply both a thin (from 5 mm) and a thick coating layer (up to 10 cm);
- products from TM prospectors can be made glossy.
Knowing these subtleties and some characteristics of various plasters, you will easily make the right choice. In the end, get a coating that will be of high quality, smooth and durable.